Thursday, January 17, 2008

Rundown of the Past Few...uh...

Since roughly the 23rd of December I...
1) Ate Mom's cookies, brownies, cakes, etc. Probably gained 20 pounds.
2) Had my SCAD grad school informal interview/portfolio review. Yikes. Do I feel inadequate! Well, at least I know what they'll be looking for so I can get my formal portfolio together in an acceptable manner. Man, I feel like after 4 years at Parsons I've accomplished next to nothing in comparison.
3) Submitted my first piece to Illustration Friday.com It's my Erzulie piece which is...um, somewhere on this page.
4) Saw native Floridian wildlife. Gators! Manatees! Giant Blue Herons! The oddly deformed local news anchors!
5) Did no art whatsoever

A photo:



In the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine, Florida, where my mom grew up. It's the United States' oldest city and the home of the legendary Fountain of Youth (which I have drunk from. 'Warm sulfurous groundwater' is an understatement). Mom said that she used to play hooky from school and play around the fort (before it became a national park/monument and thus has guards and such) when she was a kid. A lot of the rooms had names carved into the walls and I thought they were pretty nifty. I like to see evidence of people actually being normal people in settings like this. It's pretty cool to think you're standing in the exact same spot where some guy in 1880 carved his name.

No comments: